Posts with the tag GNU/Linux:
Over the course of time I got annoyed by how long it takes to properly install non-latin language support for a browser, so here’s a (hopefully quick) way to get it working.
Note: For the changes to take effect, I had to restart my browser. I’m using Chrome 23 on Debian with XFCE.
According to Wikipedia’s “Multilingual support (East Asian)”, you need to install these packages for Simplified and Traditional Chinese, Japanese, Korean and Vietnamese.
sudo apt-get install ttf-arphic-uming ttf-wqy-zenhei ttf-sazanami-mincho ttf-sazanami-gothic ttf-unfonts-core That worked perfectly for me, let’s move on to Multilingual support (Indic). On my installation I was missing support for Kannada, Telugu, Tibetan, Khmer and Burmese.
Setting default programmes is actually very simple and straight-forward.
Open your user’s defaults.list.
vim ~/.local/share/applications/defaults.list Add lines formatted like this:
<mimetype>=<desktop file> Here are some examples from my file.
text/html=sublime_text.desktop text/plain=sublime_text.desktop x-scheme-handler/http=google-chrome.desktop x-scheme-handler/magnet=transmission-gtk.desktop The changes will be applied immediately.
If you’re a web developer, you may have this issue: Creating a new virtual host in your HTTP server (I still use Apache, so sue me) works fine, but then there’s that hosts file where you always have to add the new domain (e.g. mynewproject.dev) and link it with 127.0.0.1 - but not anymore! There’s a very simple way of adding and routing a wildcard domain with a quite powerful programme named dnsmasq. Thanks to tomchuck for this solution.
First, get dnsmasq from your repo.
sudo apt-get install dnsmasq Then create your config file. Note: All files in this folder are parsed by dnsmasq.
I recently built myself a neat little home server. I wanted it to be small compared to a desktop PC, while having a lot of storage space and a reasonable speed to manage smaller tasks. Here’s what I bought:
Components Case: Fractal Design Array R2 300W ITX
Mainboard: Asrock E350M1/USB3
APU: AMD E-350 (2 × 1.6 GHz) [Wikipedia]
RAM: 2 × GeIL 4GB DDR3-1066
Hard Drives: 4 × WD20EARX (Western Digital, 2 TB)
Installing Debian I’m installing Wheezy from a FAT-formatted USB stick, which I created with unetbootin and the B4 Wheezy Amd64 netinst image. When I tried installing it from an Ext4-USB stick, it wouldn’t mount correctly.
I was searching ways to edit the XFCE menu with a GUI, because I didn’t feel like messing around with all the .desktop files. I then got pointed to LXMenuEditor (or LXMed for short), a graphical menu editor designed for LXDE, but it works just as fine in XFCE.
Here’s what you have to do to install it.
wget http://sourceforge.net/projects/lxmed/files/lxmed-20120515.tar.gz/download tar -xf lxmed-20120515.tar.gz cd lxmed chmod +x install.sh sudo ./install.sh That should be it, now you are ready to start the programme from the menu.
I’ve been using Sublime Text 2 for a few months with Windows 7 at work. It’s quite nice, maybe I’ll write a post about it someday. So, I thought it was time to get my website development environment running on my laptop, which is running Debian 7 (Wheezy).
The server I wanted to connect to uses SSH keys and port knocking. On a side note: I’m still looking for a way to automatically knock the ports before connecting, on the other hand.. maybe I don’t need everything done automatically.
Coming from Windows, I had the SSH key in Putty’s *.ppk file format.